Hosts who have Instant Book turned on for their listing can always cancel, without penalty, if they’re uncomfortable with a reservation.
Some examples of when a host can cancel penalty-free include:
- The guest has several unfavorable reviews that concern the host
- The guest hasn’t responded to questions the host needs to know about their trip
- The guest makes it clear they’ll likely break one of the host’s house rules, like bringing a pet or smoking
Canceling a reservation without penalty
To cancel a reservation that you’re uncomfortable with:
- Go to Your Reservations on airbnb.com
- Find the reservation that you need to cancel
- Select Change or Cancel to start the cancellation process
- When prompted to choose a reason for your cancellation, choose “I’m uncomfortable with the reservation or the guest has broken my House Rules”.
When you cancel for this reason, all penalties will be waived.
You’ll be able to cancel online 3 times in one year for being uncomfortable with a reservation—after that, you’ll have to call into our Community Support team to make the cancellation without penalty.
If you cancel a large number of your instantly booked reservations, you may be required to turn off Instant Book. Remember, you can’t cancel for any reason that violates Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy.