Welcome to “Busam’s Store” circa 1927.
Located walking distance from the famed “Lighthouse” this was the only store, post office and gas pump on Anastasia Island until 1960.
Over the years it served as a gathering place for neighbors and beachgoers eager to catch up on fishing reports and island gossip.
This historic corner held Busam’s on the west side and across the street on the east side of Magnolia Street was the Anastasia Inn. Both were built in the late 20’s of coquina block mined from the same quarry used centuries early to construct the Castillo de San Marcos. This quarry is now an archaeological site located in Anastasia State Park, just a short bike ride to the southern end of the Lighthouse Neighborhood.
Until the late 30’s the beach would have been at the end of White Street before the Corp of Engineers relocated the ship entrance into St Augustine City. This created Salt Run well known for its excellent Redfish and Speckled Trout fishing.
Subsequently, during early 40’s they moved A1A several blocks west to its current location. With its bike path and wide sidewalks, you can cross the “Bridge of Lions” and access the “Ancient City” a little over a mile away.