紀念碑 / 地標
The Scaliger Tombs is a group of five Gothic funerary monuments in Verona, Italy, celebrating the Scaliger family, who ruled in Verona from the 13th to the late 14th century.
The Scaliger Tombs is a group of five Gothic funerary monuments in Verona. According to the French historian Georges Duby, they are one of the most outstanding examples of Gothic art.
“On the opposite side of the center with respect to the residence "Il Vicolo". One of the masterpieces of Romanesque architecture in Italy, the Basilica of San Zeno is one of the most important buildings of the city. And 'dedicated to the eighth bishop of Verona, a saint of African origin that are attributed many miracles and the conversion of the Venetian populations. The original building dates back to the fourth century, when a small church was built near the tomb of the saint. Elongated and enlarged in 1117 after the earthquake that struck northern Italy, was completed in 1398 and renovated in the ceiling of the apse in the Gothic style. The façade, tuff and marble features a large rose window, the work of Brioloto. Magnificent portal, a precious artifact coated with 48 bronze panels made between the tenth and twelfth centuries by different authors. There are scenes from the life of Christ and the Old Testament. On the sides of the portal deserve attention bas-reliefs of the twelfth century, with sacred and profane of biblical inspiration on King Theodoric. To the right of the basilica stands a tower of 72 meters which reflects the style of alternating bands of tuff and brick, and which contains the oldest bells in Verona, merged in 1149. On the left the cloister and the crenellated tower, the last remains of a great Benedictine abbey. The interior of the church with a Latin cross plan with three naves, has a peculiar subdivision on three levels: the crypt is at the bottom, topped first by the Church Plebana and then by the Presbytery (or Upper Church) which is accessed by two staircases in marble. Particularly interesting are the baptismal font of the twelfth century, the great monolithic porphyry cup, placed on the left of the entrance, from the Roman Baths and the two wings of frescoes, made between two hundred and three hundred, which testify to the evolution of ' pictorial art in Verona. The works are housed in the apse of greater value greater: the triptych by Mantegna depicting the Madonna Enthroned, and the great marble statue of San Zeno. Made in the thirteenth century, depicting the saint smiling good-naturedly while holding the pastoral staff from which hangs a fish. From the central staircase leads to the crypt, where he kept the body of the saint. Divided into nine aisles with arches supported by 49 columns (all with different capitals) is a pleasant mixture of styles and eras. The remains of the saint, whose face is covered with a silver mask, are kept in a glass case and wrapped in a bishop's dress. The cloister is Romanesque in style and dates back to the twelfth century, composed of numerous small arches supported by coupled columns, contains ancient tombs, frescoes and a shrine which contained the wash of the friars.”
“When you will visit this amazing cathedral, take a look also to the small hidden church on the left (watching the cathedral) that is really cute. It’s called S. Elena.”
“Visit the utmost famous balcony in the world, Juliet's. Don't forget to touch her breast for good luck and fortune.”
Point of Interest
“Begun in the twelfth century and several times raised, since 1464 is the highest tower in Verona. From the panoramic belfry, accessible by a long flight of stairs or using an elevator. you can enjoy a breathtaking view that branches off from the city center up to the surrounding mountains. On the north-east of Piazza delle Erbe and Roman Palazzo della Ragione is dominated by an imposing tower, with its 84 meters of height seems to oversee a fatherly watch over the square and traders working for it. And 'Tower of the City, better known as Lamberti Tower in memory of the powerful family from Verona who had it built. Its construction began in 1172 following the Romanesque style typical of the era and even today visible in the lower part, made of brick alternating with tuff. Over the centuries it has undergone various elevations, in a series of materials and styles always in tune with each other happily, until 1464 when, with the addition of an octagonal belfry above the windows three-mullioned windows has become the highest tower in Verona. A final intervention at the end of the eighteenth century to enter the clock still running and visible from Piazza Bra. Inside already in 1295 had been placed both bells, rintoccando hours, regulating the pace of city life: the Rengo and Marangona. The Rengo was the largest and was used to call people to gather during the most important moments of city life or to give the alarm in case of danger for the city. The Marangona (from "joiner" in Veronese dialect means carpenter) was used to scan the working hours of the artisans of the city center and gave the alarm if there was a fire.”
“Just few steps from Casa Al Teatro, the Roman Theatre of Verona is a magnificent place to see Roman public architecture and art. You can walk around the steps of the Theatre and take the lift to the upper building hosting a Roman Art Museum with a great view on the old city of Verona. Check for live concerts and dance performances inside the theatre, its a fabulous experience!”